CHRISTIE HEBERT, MS, LPC, NCC
I specialize in the treatment of trauma, complex-trauma, developmental injury, codependency, mood disorders and other conditions/circumstances that negatively impact mental well-being. I have over 300 hours of continuing education in specialty areas such as trauma/complex trauma, DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy), EMDR, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and other research-based interventions.
Prior to starting my own private practice, I was a Clinical Therapist at both the world-renowned Meadows Ranch, as well as Rosewood Center for Eating Disorders in Wickenburg, AZ where I treated adolescents and adults for eating disorders and co-occurring disorders such as chemical and compulsive addictions, trauma, mood dysregulation and personality disorders. I have also worked at the Arizona Relationship Institute specializing in couples and family therapy.
I have 40+ years of experience with horses, and have owned, raised, trained and competed on many of my own horses in organizations such as AQHA, NBHA and WPRA. In 2001 I began my own equine-therapy company “Whole Horse Connection,” where I treated horses with massage-therapy, soft chiropractic techniques, myofascial release and a variety of other restorative modalities.
DEGREES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s of Science in Psychology, 2015 Grand Canyon University
- Master’s of Science in Professional Counseling, 2019 Grand Canyon University
- Member of American Counseling Association, 2018
- Member of Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals, 2016
- Equine Massage Therapy, 2001 Equi-Touch Equine Massage Systems
- Masterson Method Certified Practitioner, 2010 Masterson Method
- Microcurrent Therapy Technician, 2007 Matrix Therapy
- RockTape Certified Kinesio-Taping for Equines, 2018 RockTape
- Equine-Assisted Learning, 2018 Greg Kersten’s OK Corral Series
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing), 2018 EMDRIA
- Internal Family Systems, 2019 PESI, Inc
- Level 2 Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, 2019 International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, 2020 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
- EMDR for Substance Abuse and other Addictive Disorders, 2020 LK Institute
- Post-Induction Therapy, 2021 Meadows Behavioral Health Care
- Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy, 2022 Transpersonal Research Institute of Psychotherapeutic Psychedelics
A VARIETY OF TECHNIQUES
By using a variety of therapeutic techniques, a stronger bond between horse and owner is created, making all aspects of riding and training much more satisfying. The horse’s memory of the special bond they shared with their dam before they were weaned is re-stimulated through this gentle process of touch and just “being” with them.
THE IMPORTANCE OF YOU
I have always felt that the best person to improve a horse’s well-being is that horse’s owner. An emotionally supported horse is a horse who can look to their primary caretaker and trust that they will be safe and protected from the many predators in their world that can scare or harm them.
My true passion is teaching the horse owner how to treat their horses themselves. This way, the owner not only saves money, but also creates the bond with their horse personally. The owner also does not have to fit the needs of their horse with an outside chiropractor or equine therapists schedule and time frame. An additional benefit is that the horse can get relief as soon as he needs it, not a few days or weeks later, when the chiropractor or equine bodyworker will be available. This becomes a routine maintenance regimen, which will not only fix small issues before they become larger issues, but will also keep the horses muscles and fascia pliable to better fend off injury to begin with.
I am passionate about teaching how to connect to the horse in order to heal the person from the inside out. This can involve coaching individuals through various life obstacles involving trauma, grief, substance abuse, depression, anxiety and other negative life experiences with the help of the horse.